Monday, February 6, 2012

Change of pace? Change your place.

I have been here in Sweden for about a month now, and because I now live in a  super small town, my life was starting to feel a little...stale. Then I got an invitation from my girlfriend that lives in another city to come and visit her. I thought to myself, why not go and visit my girlfriends for the weekend and switch up the scenery a bit? So I did. It was the best time. 

The girls and I on our way to the city center for some shopping and a warm fika.
Although the comfort of your home or "usual" places like Starbucks or that same restaurant is natural for you, you may be feeling how I felt which is slightly un-amused and looking for something "more." I say, just GO for it.

Try to Avoid excuses. If you are thinking, "Well, I didn't get any personal invites to a new town..." Take the initiative! and contact an old friend, see if you can't make plans to visit. And if you can't go to them, for financial or other reasons, see if you can host them visiting you. It is a refreshing experience  when you get to show someone around your town, makes you appreciate and feel proud about where you are from.

Typical Swedish sandwiches and pastries at "Viskan," voted best cafe in Boras.
Where we had  our Fika.
I had a great weekend in Borås, Sweden. I took a train and bus to get there, and the journey was just as amusing as the destination. 

But the best part is I was so happy to come home. After a long weekend of catching up with friends, shopping, dining, dancing, and travelling, I was completely content with coming home and laying on my couch, having some pizza and watching the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, a Swedish original film.


No comments:

Post a Comment