Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Arrival in Sweden!

We have finally arrived! The environment is covered in snow and looks like a winter wonderland. If I could compare to anything, I would compare it Narnia in the winter time. Breathtakingly beautiful. Once we get past the gate, Jimena and I immediately notice the oddest thing at Stockholm International Airport. The silence! It was so creepily quiet at this airport, you could here a pin drop. So we just followed the arrows of Swedish signs that somewhat resembled "Baggage claim." As we waited for our bags on the conveyor belt, I noticed that the pets are transported right through the middle of the airport, not in a back road or cargo truck. So all you heard when standing and waiting for your luggage was 2 whining puppies. Quite eerie. ha.
The mood quickly picked up from there. Jimena and I stopped at the currency converter kiosk and got 120 SEK each. which is the Swedish Krona (SEK/USD = $6.63314) just so we could pay for the buses or taxis around town.
Then we walked out into the main hall of the airport which looks like one big trendy IKEA airport. We were so lucky because the buses come once every hour and we made it within 10  minutes. This is us exhausted and ready to be in our new home... (video)
After a 2 hour bus ride, we arrive at the train station where the pickup service got us in a van. There we met 3 other Australian girls that were also going to be living with us. I got the news that I will be staying in Vilhemsro, (My first choice!)  with my own room, and Jimena just down the hall from me. I was handed the keys and was never happier to see my new twin sized bed and get some much needed rest.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds awesome! But the video's don't work! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha don't worry! this is only temporary..(which I posted on my facebook status!)lol. I forgot my camera and video connection cords in America anc my dumb flip camera isn't working properly. I will plug it in my computer all night to charge and try to use it the next day, it only records a few seconds and dies!! I was seriously P-Oed!

    ReplyDelete