Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Travels continued...New Yorker Style

This was such an amazing day. After finally finding Jimena, I couldn't have asked for a smoother transition. The flight to New York was a breeze because we spent the entire time watching the 2 hour classic movie Mean Girls.

Once we arrived to La Guardia, we easily found the shuttle that took us to our next flight at JFK Airport. It was pretty funny because the "shuttle" turned out to be a small van with a driver that seemed to be on his first day on the job.Luckily we had a veteran taxi driver drive to show this rookie the ropes. Check out this video I recorded. ha. 
Through the crazy New York traffic with this highly aggressive cab driver, I probably flinched at least 3 times, thinking our van was going to merge right into the oncoming cars, but he rocked it! And we arrived right on time to check our bags for the second time. This is where I had my very first New York style altercation, with this sassy bag clerk. She immediately put the attitude on and demanded we pay a second time for our bags. (Which we were told the first time to show our payment stub and they will override the second charge.) This lady was not even listening to me and just demanded that I pay the fee. So of course, I had to play hard ball. Finally she waived the fee and said I need to put my luggage on the scale so she can weigh my bags.
She then went on a major power trip and said my 55lbs bag was too much. "You either need to put the weight in another bag, or get rid of your things. It needs to be 50lbs." She said. (Not true, the other airport approved this same exact bag to be checked.)  So Jimena kindly let me shove a few of my sweaters into her luggage. I got it down to 53lbs and that was that. All she could do was give me the stink eye as they loaded up my bags. Ha, hey, sometimes you gotta stand up for yourself, especially when your friends involved are too sweet to get a little aggressive. And I was perfectly ok showing this lady that Florida girls can hold their own too. ;)
Now it was dinner time. There were two choices: This swanky bistro, or the BK. Knowing we are on a college budget and we will be far from an American burger for a while made this decision simple, BK it is! Before we took the first bite, I casually asked Jimena if she wouldn't mind If I blessed our food in a prayer. She said it was totally fine and that made me happy. :)
After dinner, we were waiting at our gate and striked up a conversation with these 2 girls who actually were from Stockholm! I was quite surprised when I heard this because the weren't at all blonde hair and blue eyes. I was already breaking down the walls of my prejudgments.
It was finally time to board my dreaded 8 hour flight. But this flight pleasantly surprised me. I did not think dinner, movies, or even blankets were offered without paying a nifty price. But in fact, all of the above were offered for free! We watched this amazing movie Going the Distance, about a long distance relationship, ha how ironic. All I can say is that it ends well. :)
Dinner consisted of an impressive chicken with rice, steamed veggies, and dessert served with a Red wine. So funny thing about alcohol on a plane, it gets to you...I Didn't know that when I decided to let Jimena put her glass on my fold out tray so she could sleep. So there I was with 2 full wine glasses and I start to feel sleepy. Already pretty beat at this point from traveling, I wasn't thinking very clearly. So I thought the only way I can put these glasses on the ground to lift up my tray and sleep is to drink the rest. Ha, yeah I had a fun rest of the trip.

Just when I feel I couldn't be anymore blessed from God, talking to local Swede next to me that just visited Disneyland with his wife and kids while sipping on my free wine, they play a marathon of The Office!!
So far so good, can't wait for what tomorrow brings and where I will be living!! Oh yeah, and I get to ride my very first train! I am expecting something like the Hogwarts Express, but I will try and keep my imagination at bay. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment