Monday, February 28, 2011

London, England

So I am currently in London at the White Fairy Hostel in my top bunk. I just painted my nails, and now I am relaxing in bed preparing to fall asleep within the hour. As you are reading this, you might be wondering, shouldn't I be spending every waking moment sightseeing this beautiful city? Yes, I couldn't agree more. But a series of events led me here, now. Writing this blog. But before I get into what happened tonight, I'd like to take you to the very beginning of my British journey...

Jime and I trying to pack for London...
Friday Night
As most of you might know, studying abroad often involves the occasional "college festivities" which in my case, turned out to be a raging 100+ person flip cup tournament at my accommodation. Lucky for me, I live in the largest student housing facility in Jonkoping, awesome...

This tournament came fully equipped with 8 different teams including The Wolfpack, Delta 1, The V Crew, Jonkopink, The Black Mambas, and the Alley cats (an all girls team that painted whiskers on their faces.) This college festivity was also happening at the exact time I was packing and leaving for London, at midnight that same day. Needless to say, there was a lot going on. So, instead of getting an early night sleep, I just pulled an all-day-er. Yes it happened, an all-day-er.

The WolfPack
The Black Mambas (IA Team)


The Alley Cats

JonkoPink


Saturday- Day 1
So Jimena , Victor, and I caught the cheapest flight we could find ($26-RyanAir Airlines) which has its definite pros and cons. 
Major Pro = can pretty much travel to anywhere in Europe for less than 50 bucks round trip.
Cons = You can only bring one carry on bag, cannot sleep on the plane because they play advertisements over the intercom the entire time, the landing always feels like a crash landing and they play a victory song over the intercom and everyone claps when you land successfully (pretty sketch.) 
Ultimately, the opportunity to travel overrides any discomfort I may temporarily experience. So I give RyanAir the stamp of approval!

Jime and I at the airport waiting for our flight.
After a long night of traveling, we finally arrive in the London Airport at 10am (one hour ahead of Sweden.) This is where I had my first British encounter...As non- UK citizens, Jimena and I had to get our passports checked before entering the new country. So I went to the desk and this thin woman with a smug face just stared at me and said (at me, not to me) "Ma'am, you need to complete this identification card. Go complete it." But the problem was a section on the card requested the information of the hostel I was staying in while in London, and only Victor (who had already passed through customs) had this information. So I asked her, "Yes I understand ma'am, but my friend..." Before I could even complete my sentence, she cuts me off. "No YOU don't understand, I can't assist you until you complete your card. Go complete it." I was fuming at this point...there is nothing in this world that bothers me more than bad customer service...Just when I was about to lose it like I was on the show Boiling Points, Victor shows up and helps me with the missing information. Once we finally got past the dragon lady, I saw things turning up...

No comments:

Post a Comment