Thursday, February 10, 2011

One year Older

So today is my 22nd birthday and I am SO excited that I could barely sleep. Last night was phenomenal too. I was in my room about to pick my outfit out for the night, when I hear a knock on my door. It was Jimena and she asked what I was doing, I told her nothing why? Then she swung open my door to show me my hallway full of about 30 of my roommates with a cake and over sized birthday card to present to me. I was in complete shock! I think this was the first birthday in many years, that I absolutely wasn't expecting anything. I mean, I know I am supposed to say that I never expect something, but there are always those best friends that you know something is up their sleeve ;) So yes, it was the most pleasant surprise and almost made me cry when they were singing me happy birthday. Then we all stampeded to the largest kitchen and sliced the cake. The cake was this amazing cheesecake with chocolate crust, made by my new friend Ana from Germany. I told her she should open up her own shop; she would make a great living. 
After cake, Jimena and I continued to get ready for the night out. I was particularly excited about getting dressed up tonight not only because it was my birthday at midnight, but because I had just spent the day shopping with my Swedish model friend Hanna. I bought, you guessed it, two new pairs of birthday boots!  I also bought some leggings and new items that would make me blend in a little more with these gorgeous Swedes. I have come to the conclusion that although the weather here in Jonkoping is typically 30 degrees and snowy, it is completely irrelevant to the women living here. They all dress so stylish, and it has given me a new motivation to go shopping. I love the European style. This includes: leggings, killer boots, any over-sized scarf, a form-fitting sweater, and generally a waist length- fluffy hooded jacket. And if they can incorporate leather and amazing purses somewhere in there you are golden.   My personal style includes all of the above, plus I like to add a pop of color with usually a colorful scarf, pink blush, or a bright colored sweater that peaks through my jacket. To say, “hey I am reppin’ the sunshine state, where everyone is bright and happy.”
new skirt, leggings, and BOOTS!

The night out was fun, we caught the bus to my Swedish girl friend Alexandra’s apartment, which is also super modern and swanky (like Ikea) She had light wood floors with white walls and furniture, then pillows and paintings on the walls that added a big splash of color for contrast. We had our pre-party there (because the beverages out are typically $13 per drink- insane!) The reason the Swedes must pay so much for alcohol now is because the government here realized that because the Swedish are so shy in nature, they depend on alcohol to let loose and become more outgoing. Or what my sisters and I would call, “liquid courage.” So as you might figure, the Swedish depended more and more on drinking to the point where there was too much public intoxication and people were putting themselves in danger. Thus, now the Swedes must pay for this, and pre-parties were born. After the pre-party at Alexandra’s, we went to a bar that one of my new IA friends works at. It was similar to an Ale House, except a third of the size. Then we made our way to Bongo’s across the street. Now this place was my kind of style. For those of you who go downtown Orlando, it is similar to BBQ bar and plays Indie rock, has swanky couches, and local paintings on the wall. I was having such an amazing night with my friends and had a few birthday drinks, mostly screwdrivers (orange juice and vodka- reminds me of homeJ) and just as I thought this night couldn’t get any better, my friends Victor and Jimena had secretly told the DJ to play a song that fit the entire essence of this night, “American Woman” by Lenny Kravitz! In this moment, I realized how completely blessed I am, and how I am so surprised that I am spending my 22nd birthday in an Indie Bar in Sweden, dancing to Lenny Kravitz with 30 people from all over the world. I had a great night.
Birthday drink for me! Mintu, an extremely popular beverage in Sweden.

No comments:

Post a Comment